The steel mace lateral lunge is a lower body frontal plane exercise that also incorporates arm work. Using a heavier a macebell this exercise is also excellent for anti-rotational strength.
- Stand in a wide stance, at least 10-12 inches wider than shoulder width apart on each side.
- Grip the mace handle with one hand close to the mace head and the other at the end of the handle.
- Perform a lateral lunge on the opposite side to the mace head.
- Simultaneously lower the mace head towards the floor.
- Drive through the heel, squeeze the glute and return to the starting position whilst curling the macebell.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Allowing your knee to travel forward over your toe.
Correction: Keep the weight on your heel and initiate the movement by pushing your hips back before bending the knee.