The Bulgarian bag clean and press is a hybrid exercise that combines the Bulgarian bag clean and the Bulgarian bag press. To successfully perform this movement you will need to follow the teaching points of both movements.
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart with the bag resting against your legs and the main handles pointing upwards.
2. Hinge the hips whilst keeping your chest proud and core braced, your torso should be at a 30–45-degree angle with your knees slightly bent.
3. Grab the bag by the main handles keeping your shoulders packed down and a straight line between crown and coccyx.
4. Keep your arms locked out and swing the bag back through the legs absorbing the force into your hips.
5. Drive the bag forward with a powerful hip drive, after the bag has passed through the legs shrug your shoulders whilst drawing your elbows upwards.
6. Once the bag reaches chest height, immediately drop your elbows under the bag and gently catch the bag in the rack position.
7. Press the bag up vertically, keep the forearms vertical and the wrists fixed throughout.
8. Straighten the arm at the top of movement and contract the triceps so the arms are straight.
9. Keep your shoulders packed down and cored braced throughout.
10. Lower the bag under control and pull it back into the ‘racked’ position.
11. Repeat the movement.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Locking the hips into full extension or hyperextension while allowing the bag to drift behind or out to the side of the body.
Correction: Keep the hips soft in a small amount of flexion with the chest lifted to ensure the core musculature is activated. Ensure the bag is stabilised directly above the shoulder joint.