The sandbag high pull is a combination between a deadlift and an upright row. This movement is a little more explosive with the power generation coming from the legs with your arms guiding the bag at the top of the movement, if the bag is heavy you might feel a little more emphasis in the upper body. If you want to get good at the sandbag snatch, first you must master the sandbag high pull.
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- Start with the sandbag as close to your feet as possible.
- Keep a neutral spine, hinge at the hips whilst looking forward and down (at the horizon).
- Grasp the sandbag with two hands and keep the core braced.
- Drive down hard through the heels, explode your hips forward and squeeze the glutes.
- Once the bag passes your knees drive your elbows up high so that the sandbag reaches the sternum.
- Reverse the movement.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Losing neutrality through the spine
Correction: Keep your chest proud and shoulders down and packed.