Something very unique to bag training is the ability to shoulder the weight. Very few pieces of equipment allow you to unilaterally load the weight on one shoulder whilst simultaneously moving the direction in which the bag is moving. Sandbag shoulder cleans are an explosive exercise that move the weight from the floor to the shoulder in one movement.
- Start with the bag placed vertically between your feet.
- Squat down and grab the bag by its sides or the handles.
- Keep your back flat, chest proud and core braced throughout the movement.
- Drive through the hips, keep your weight on your heels and squeeze the glutes until your body reaches full extension.
- Catch the bag on the shoulder at the top of the movement.
- At the top of the movement ensure your hips are fully extended, your chest is proud and your shoulders are packed down. The bag should NOT be touching your neck or resting against your head.
- Repeat the movement and catch the bag on the other shoulder.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Lifting through the lower back.
Correction: Ensure you drive through the hips.