With the load placed on the front of the body a heavy bag, the sandbag Zercher squat will pull you forward and really challenge the core to maintain an upright position. Keep your shoulders packed down, core braced and shoulder blades squeezed together. This holding position will also target the arms.
- Hold the sandbag in the Zercher position.
- Brace the abdominal and back muscles to maintain an upright posture.
- Initiate the squat by flexing from the knees and hips.
- Lower slowly to a comfortable position (thighs parallel to the floor if possible).
- From the bottom position push the ground away keeping the chest lifted throughout to maintain a neutral spine.
- Keep knees in line with toes and heels down throughout.
- Return to the standing position and concentrate on getting the hips forward whilst squeezing the glutes.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Spinal alignment falling into flexion.
Correction: Keep the chest lifted and shoulders retracted.