The workplace is often stressful and demanding, and a lot of times employees rely on unhealthy ways to relax and unwind, just like smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, or overeating. Are you aware that those who are obese or overweight are much more prone to heart diseases, cancer, diabetes and any other diseases? Obesity has been connected with higher hospital/medical bills, reduced productivity, greater absenteeism, higher disability expenses and worker-compensation costs.
Huge amounts of money are wasted due to worker absenteeism and less productivity. It’s been estimated that the expense of obesity in a company with a thousand employees is around $285,000 annually in increased absenteeism and medical costs.
The business world is fast learning the great advantages of developing a fitness program for workers. An effective fitness program has lots of advantages to the employee, and the employer and stretches far beyond plain weight loss. Employees will have a much better focus, feel good about their performance and have a lot more energy, enhanced health, as well as, a substantial decrease in stress. Companies will notice an improvement in productivity, a dropped in staff revenues and a boost in teamwork and morale.
The initial step is to encourage the workers who are interested in the program. It is sometimes difficult to get employees to take part in any weight loss program. A great way to introduce this program is through an employee weight loss challenge. Through this, it offers a sense of competition. Most of the time, employees are much more motivated to join if there’s a contest and not to mention, incentive.
Before you begin organizing an employee weight-loss challenge, consider the age and also the level of fitness of your workers. Ensure that the program is offered to all workers. Start by creating a fitness team of interested and motivated employees. The fitness team must be in charge of managing group activities. Designate a fitness leader on each group to assist with the coordination.
- Go over the employee weight-loss challenge in order that all employees know the significance of the challenge and as to why the company is encouraging and promoting the employees to take part.
- Encourage the significance of health and fitness between the employees. Come up with fitness workshops and seminars once per week. Select a topic that pertains to healthy living and fitness and/or bring a professional to discuss or perhaps get one employee to select a topic and then he/she report to the group.
- Come up with a challenge calendar in which employees can see the upcoming activities. Moreover, you can create weekly participant summary form in which employees can record their changes and developments, and simplify monitoring and reporting. Each worker must be required to fill in the Weekly Participant Summary Form and give it back to the Program Leader every week.
- Set up a minimum of 3 fitness activities each week (such as group walking, yoga classes or team competitions.
- Create a rewards program in which the top successful participants get any financial incentives or perhaps a reimbursement for any gym membership. You can also create a rewards system, which is according to points that every participant gains during the entire program.
Here’s an article from Marni Jameson of Orlando Sentinel:
Companies Help Workers Drop Pounds, Boost Productivity
[quote style=”boxed”]Many business owners would also prefer that government stay out of their business. However, Florida employers are also well aware of how much an obese workforce weighs on their bottom lines. So many have taken matters into their own hands.
Local companies, including Orlando Health, have launched employee weight-loss programs to help their employees drop pounds and the company cut costs.[/quote]
Ensure that your employee weight loss challenge is new and fresh to help keep the workers motivated. You will soon notice that your employees have a much better focus, feel good on their performance, have much more energy, boosted health and a substantial decrease in stress. Companies will notice a boost in productivity, a reduced in worker revenue, and a boost in teamwork and morale. All of these results in an even more lucrative and a productive workplace.
If you are having a hard time losing weight, we at Dangerously Fit bootcamps can help you with your problem. Please visit our website if you want to book a free consultation.