The spin is the end game of the previous progressions and is a totally unique exercise to the Bulgarian bag. It’s a very similar movement to Prep movement #3 – The Looping Spin, but it’s performed with speed. This exercise is fantastic for building circular shoulder strength, grip strength, cardio conditioning and rotational core strength. This is another push, swing, pull movement and you have no rest which makes it a very metabolically demanding exercise.
- Place the bag on the floor in front of you resting up against your legs and the main handles pointing upwards.
- With your feet shoulder width apart, hinge the hips and grab the bag by the main handles placing your thumb into the thumb crease, drive your hips forward and stand tall.
- Charge your weight to one side and simultaneously swing the bag in the opposite direction keeping your elbows straight.
- Swing the bag across the front of the body, keeping your head straight and at the top of the upswing whip your bottom arm around the back of your head like you’re performing a halo.
- Rotate the hips and initiate the cast with the other arm bringing it over the head and pulling the bag downwards towards the floor. Let the bag swing across the front of the body shifting your weight as it passes across the mid-line.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: The bag slamming in to the back slowing down the momentum of the exercise.
Correction: Start slow, keep your elbows high and only speed up when you’re comfortable with the movement and can perform prep movement #3 with proficient technique.
Error: Standing still as the bag moves across the body.
Correction: As the bag moves across the front of the body, shift your weight in the opposite direction to counter the weight of the bag.
Error: Moving your head around the bag.
Correction: Keep your head straight at all times.