The Turkish Get-Up is an all over functional body conditioning / strengthening exercise. It targets most muscles of the body, but is particularly good for developing the core as well as shoulder strength, stability and range. There is a set procedure for the Turkish Get-Up, but traditionally the Turkish Get-Up is simply getting up from a lying position.
- Start in a foetal position close to the kettlebell with both hands on the handle.
- Roll over onto the back keeping the kettlebell close and your legs and position your arms and legs at 90 degrees.
- Press the kettlebell with one or two hands.
- Look at the kettlebell at all times.
- Flex the knee on the same side as the kettlebell with the foot firmly planted on the floor.
- Simultaneously drive through the heel whilst rolling onto the opposite elbow pushing the kettlebell forward and up so the pressing arm remains vertical.
- Avoid shrugging the empty shoulder and push upwards until the arm is straight.
- Lift the hips up and move the straight leg underneath the body into a lunge position, again keeping the kettlebell arm vertical and looking at the kettlebell.
- When in lunge position look forwards and push up to a standing position.
- Reverse the actions under control to the start position.