The sandbag full snatch is a very challenging as exercise as you’ll need to explode the weight vertically, then quickly stabilise and control the weight overhead by locking out the arms whilst holding the squat position.
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- Start with the sandbag as close to your feet as possible.
- Keep a neutral spine, hinge at the hips whilst looking forward and down (at the horizon).
- Grasp the sandbag with two hands and keep the core braced.
- Drive down hard through the heels, explode your hips forward and squeeze the glutes. Your feet can leave the floor during the explosive hip drive motion, stomp the heels on the ground for extra power generation.
- Once the bag has passed your knees drive your elbows up high so that the sandbag forcefully moves upwards.
- When the bag reaches chest level punch vertically and simultaneously drop into a squat.
- Quickly lock out your arms, upper back and shoulders to stabilise the weight overhead.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Not controlling the weight in the overhead position.
Correction: Lock out your arms, upper back and shoulders to stabilise the weight overhead as quickly as possible.