The sandbag power jerk is an explosive movement and can be used to lift heavier loads overhead than a standard shoulder press or push press. However, the jerk is a much more complex movement and requires practice to become proficient.
- Hold the sandbag in the racked position.
- Slightly dip the hips and knees, then immediately and simultaneously extend your elbows and knees creating some space between you and the bag.
- Now that the bag is moving upwards quickly drop under the bag, whist stomping the heels on the floor and shooting your arms forcefully vertically.
- Lock your elbows at the top whilst your hips are still slightly flexed, then extend the hips and stand tall.
- Lower the bag and activate the abdominals just before triceps reaches the rib cage on the drop.
- Exhale and absorb the impact when catching the Sandbag back into the rack position.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Driving through the knees like a push press.
Correction: Stomp your heels and quickly dip under the bag.