The sandbag Romanian deadlift (RDL) places even more emphasis on the glutes and hamstrings than the conventional deadlift, helping to develop flexibility, strength and power. When performing a conventional deadlift the emphasis during the concentric phase is to drive into the floor through the heels, whereas the emphasis with the RDL is to pull from the hips.
- Start with the sandbag in the hang position with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Slightly bend at the knees, this knee position will be maintained through the full movement.
- Inhale into the belly and keep the core braced.
- Hinge at the hips with a strong emphasis on driving the hips backwards, keep the weight over the heels.
- Lower the sandbag just below the knees, squeeze your glutes and drive your hips forward and up.
- Return to the standing position ensuring your knees are still slightly bent.
- Exhale at the top.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Locking the knees at the top.
Correction: Ensure your knees are kept bent when the hips reach extension.
Error: Going too low.
Correction: Stop just passed the knee, going too low may cause you to flex the knees.