The sandbag side press is a similar exercise to the Windmill, except instead of pressing the bag overhead and then hinging you hinge and press simultaneously. This exercise is very challenging but excellent for building strong durable shoulders.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Rotate your feet at a 45-degree angle away from the lifting arm.
- Hinge at the the hip and rotate your thoracic spine as you press the sandbag vertically.
- Watch the sandbag overhead as you slowly lower your torso towards the ground, go as low as your flexibility/mobility allows.
- Keep the leg on the lifting side straight throughout the movement, the other leg can bend slightly.
- Squeeze your glutes, drive your hips forward until you return to the standing position, simultaneously lover the sandbag to the starting position.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Bending the back leg.
Correction: Hinge the hips and continue to drive your hips back as you lower yourself to the floor.
Error: Not turning your body.
Correction: Rotate your thoracic spine, hinge your hips and continue to look upwards as you lower your torso towards the ground.