The sandbag windmill press is excellent exercise for core strength, shoulder stability and hip/hamstring flexibility. The movement requires skill and practice and a solid foundation of overhead shoulder stability and strength.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Rotate your feet at a 45-degree angle away from the lifting arm.
- Press the sandbag overhead.
- Hinge at the hip and rotate your thoracic spine.
- Watch the sandbag overhead as you slowly lower your torso towards the ground, go as low as your flexibility/mobility allows.
- Keep the leg on the lifting side straight throughout the movement, the other leg can bend slightly.
- Squeeze your glutes and drive your hips forward until you return to the standing position.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Bending the back leg.
Correction: Hinge the hips and continue to drive your hips back as you lower yourself to the floor.
Error: Not turning your body.
Correction: Rotate your thoracic spine, hinge your hips and continue to look upwards as you lower your torso towards the ground.