Bulgarian bag good mornings are another excellent hip hinge movement that work the posterior chain muscles and especially the hamstrings. A very similar movement to Romanian deadlifts but due to the extra leverage of the load being held further away from the fulcrum (hips), far less weight is required.
- Halo the bag to the back position.
- Inhale into the belly and keep the core braced.
- Keep your elbows pointing forward and initiate the movement by driving the hips backwards.
- Continue driving your hips backwards until you feel a stretch in the hamstrings.
- Keep a neutral spine through the movement.
- Squeeze the glutes and drive your hips forward with your feet placed firmly on the ground until your body reaches full extension.
- Exhale at the top.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Leaning too far forward
Correction: Sit back on the hips and keep the weight on your heels with your chest facing forwards.
Error: Over extending at the top of the movement.
Correction: Finish the movement with your ankles, knees and shoulder in a perpendicular to the floor.
Error: Losing neutrality through the spine
Correction: Keep your chest up and shoulders back.
Error: Looking downwards
Correction: Look 5-6 feet in front or towards the horizon.
- Zercher Good Mornings