After perfecting the previous two progressions you now know how to laterally swing the Bulgarian bag and whip around the back of the body and the angle your arms need to be in. The third progression will teach you how to move the bag to the other side of the body whilst charging your weight in the opposite direction in preparation for the next swing. Do not try to rush this movement, slow it down until you perfect the movement and only increase the speed when you feel you have full control and the confidence to do so.
- Place the bag on the floor in front of you resting up against your legs and the main handles pointing upwards.
- With your feet shoulder width apart, hinge the hips and grab the bag by the main handles placing your thumb into the thumb crease, drive your hips forward and stand tall.
- Charge your weight to one side and simultaneously swing the bag in the opposite direction keeping your elbows straight.
- Swing the bag across the front of the body, keeping your head straight and at the top of the upswing whip your bottom arm around the back of your head like you’re performing a halo and immediately extend the elbows so that the bag hangs between the back of the shoulders.
- Move the bag slowly to the other side of the body, once the bag passes the midline shift your weight in the opposite direction to counter the weight of the bag.
- Once the bag has reached the other side of the body, rotate one arm over the head pulling the other arm downwards, then immediately cast the bag to the side.
- Keeping your arms straight, allow the bag to swing in an arc across the front of the body ensuring your core is braced whilst rotating through the hips.
- Perform the exercise for time or reps then repeat the movement in the other direction.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Standing still as the bag moves across the body.
Correction: As the bag moves across the front of the body, shift your weight in the opposite direction to counter the weight of the bag.
Error: Moving your head around the bag.
Correction: Keep your head straight at all times.