You might be familiar with this exercise using dumbbells. The Steel Club Arnie Press is a perfect example of how you can take a familiar exercise and make it a whole lot tougher using the uneven weight distribution of the club. It’s a lot more challenging than it looks, choke up (grip the club closer to the cone) on the club if you need to.
- Keep your shoulders packed down, your core tight and glutes squeezed.
- Crush grip the clubs by the neck, keeping your elbows tucked in tight against your ribs, your wrists neutral, the clubs parallel to the floor and the muzzles facing out.
- Press the clubs overhead whilst rotating the muzzles inwards.
- It’s important to keep your wrists neutral throughout the movement, choke up if you have to.
- Once your elbows are locked out overhead, actively engage your lats and pull the clubs back down into the starting position.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Not keeping the wrists neutral throughout the movement.
Correction: Use a crush grip and choke up if you need to.