The steel club side shoulder clean is a similar exercise to the Side Clean but this time when the club reaches the top of the upswing, catch the club on the shoulder whilst simultaneously squatting.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Keep your core braced tight throughout the movement.
- Hinge the hips and grip one club by the neck with two hands.
- Clean the club into the guard position.
- Laterally swing the club whilst powerfully driving the hips forward.
- Note: It’s the hip drive back and forth that powers the club to move laterally, we’re not trying to swing the club through our shoulders.
- The club will swing laterally up, as the club passes the front of the body at the bottom of the swing, charge your weight in the opposite direction to counter the weight.
- Catch the club on the meaty part of the shoulder at the top of the upswing and immediately drop into a squat.
- Repeat the movement.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Trying to swing the club with your arms.
Correction: This movement is powered through the hips not the arms.