The steel club bullwhip is an excellent exercise for opening up the shoulders, building shoulder strength and mobility and increasing grip strength. Practice the bullwhip with a light club ensuring your head stays in a fixed position before moving on to a heavier weight.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Hinge the hips and initiate the movement with a swing.
- Drive your hips forward and let the club swing upwards.
- Keep your wrist neutral but relaxed and rotate the club a full 360 around your head (like a single arm halo) with the club muzzle pointing downwards.
- Cast the club forwards back into the swing.
- Once you have completed a full rotation around your head cast the club away back into a swing.
Common Problems & Solutions
Error: Allowing the club to flail out when performing the halo.
Correction: Make sure the club muzzle is pointing towards the floor.